My heart is softened the moment I lay eyes on them - these two are nearly carbon copies of my nephews - the older brother standing slightly taller than the younger. I am having difficulty unloading my cart, as I so desperately want to stop and stare into their eyes..... as if I might see even more a resemblance...... to touch their heads as I so naturally would my nephews'.
As a familiar ache pervades, my eyes begin to tear up. Gratefully, I am distracted by the fact that these little men do not have enough money for the milk they have been sent to buy. I quickly pull out my wallet and then engage in small chat, being careful to respect the fact that these boys are together without the presence of an adult. "Where is your mother?", I wonder, and yet dare not ask. The oldest boy is clearly intent on being the big brother. Perhaps she is in the parking lot, anxiously watching and waiting for her charming boys to depart with the prize she so trustingly sent them to retrieve. That's what I want to believe. Still, I am grateful for the opportunity to really look at them, if even for a moment, to take in the similarities.
As I watch them walk away, warning them to "be careful" (and hoping Mom will greet them just outside the door), I am sad to see them go. And yet, my heart is moved and full of joy that I've seen these little guys. A reminder that, without love, life is empty.
Love & miss you, Owie and Sambo!!
1 comment:
Tracy - Thanks for those beautiful words! I can remember having those same feelings when we first moved. I would tear up easily when seeing someone or something that reminded me of home and family or friends. I was also pregnant, so I blamed it on hormones! It does get easier with time. It was great to talk to you the other day. Love you and Miss you!
Post a Comment