Monday, September 27, 2010

Goodnight Kiss

I had a coffee after 7 PM tonight, and I chose this because there was much to get ready for the school week.  And mostly because I was tired.  And while this affords me a few hours, it would be my preference if such an energy boost should begin to ramp down just as soon as my work is finished, or as I am nearing the end.  That part, however, didn't work.  And so I'm still awake and it's already the new week.  

There are benefits to not being tired (or is it rather to being tired, but not able to sleep?).  I spent some time reading tonight, and put a good dent in one of the three books I'm in the middle of.  But then I got hungry (not a good thing), and thus helped myself to an apple.  Sitting in our half-lit kitchen, munching on apple, reading my book, the coffee slowly began to wear off.  And so, I turned off the lights and headed toward our wing.  

But before I tuck in, just because I can, and because they are all fast asleep, and because some time soon I won't have the privilege, I kiss each of my sleeping beauties.  That's something I used to do every night, sometimes several times. 

Perhaps what prompted me was the conversation Bill and I had earlier this evening about the fact that no one runs to our room any more... not because of a bad dream, or an inability to sleep, or even just to snuggle.  Perhaps the need to go to them is simply because they are here. And although I am ready to settle down, I cannot resist the urge.  

Tonight I can still kiss them and watch them sleep.  And despite the fact that I'll likely need a jolt tomorrow (today), I believe that makes coffee after 7 PM not such a bad thing :)